Employment Opportunity – Infrastructure Lead Hand
The Township of Johnson has a population of approximately 900 residents and is located 50 km east of Sault Ste. Marie. The Township sits on the picturesque north shore of Lake Huron and is a mixture of rural, residential and agricultural lands and contains an abundance of waterfront recreational properties for seasonal and full-time residences. The Township of Johnson also encompasses the hamlet of Desbarats Ontario. The area has everything for the outdoor enthusiast: camping, boating, fishing, hunting, cross country skiing, snowmobiling and hiking. City amenities and airport services are available in Sault Ste. Marie. The hamlet of Desbarats services the local high school and hockey arena each of which provide regional services to the neighboring municipalities. The Township of Johnson also manages the local water and sewer system for the hamlet of Desbarats.
|Wage – Full-Time 40 hours per week (Evening and weekend work required)||Commensurate with experience|
|Reports to:||Head of Administration|
Reporting to the Head of Administration, the Infrastructure Services Lead Hand is responsible for planning, organizing, directing and evaluating the activities of the Infrastructure Services Department in accordance with the applicable bylaws and polices adopted by Mayor and Council. The position is also guided by applicable Provincial legislation, such as the Minimum Maintenance Standards. The incumbent will require optimum management of human and financial resources in an effective and efficient manner for the following Municipal services; transportation, water, sewer, parks and arena.
Summary of Required Qualifications and Skills:
• College diploma in a related discipline or acceptable combination of education and related experience;
• Certified Road Supervisor, preferred;
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in: equipment operations in a rural-based roads department or equivalent; and supervisory experience in municipal public works management
• Working knowledge of Geographic Information Systems based on the ESRI platform and other related municipal software systems
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite of products including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Knowledge in Provincial legislation and standards governing municipal infrastructure services operations and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
• Chainsaw certification
• Valid DZ Driver’s Licence with a clean abstract;
• Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills;
• Excellent interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit an introductory letter and detailed resumé to Application for Employment clearly marked “Infrastructure Services Lead Hand” “Confidential” on or before February 28, 2020 to:
Chris Wray, Clerk
Township of Johnson
P.O. Box 160
1 Johnson Drive
Desbarats, ON P0R 1E0
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25, and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection.
Please click HERE to download a pdf copy of this employment advertisement.